"It's a really beautiful instrument. It sounds good, feels wonderful to play and it looks incredibly striking. I'm very proud to have my name on it"
Steven Wilson • Summer 2016
Steven Wilson - Porcupine Tree frontman, hugely successful solo artist and "king of prog rock"- has long been a loyal and enthusiastic supporter of Babicz guitars, with the revolutionary Identity Series Dreadnought famously being his main acoustic stage instrument for over a decade.
To celebrate, the boldly experimental British artist was invited by Jeff Babicz, one of the USA's most forward thinking guitar builders, to help create a brand new signature instrument.
Based on Steven's preferred cutaway design and engineered to his exacting standards, the result is a striking guitar that combines slick good looks with consummate construction, superior performance and unparalleled versatility, employing the full complement of cutting edge Babicz innovations to maximum effect.
Describing it as "fundamental to the show" this is the exact same instrument that Steven has used in all his live performances since the release of his wildly acclaimed 2015 solo album, the soulful and immersive masterpiece "Hand. Cannot. Erase."
The Babicz ID Series Steven Wilson Signature Model Features
- Solid Engelmann Spruce Soundboard
- Solid Rosewood Back & Sides
- Solid Rosewood 25.5" Scale Fingerboard
- Steven Wilson Black Face Signature Headstock
- Rounded Body Cutaway
- Babicz Continually Adjustable Neck
- Babicz Torque Reducing Split Bridge
- Babicz Lateral Compression Soundboard
- L.R. Baggs Stage Pro Anthem Dual Pickup/Preamp System
- Gold Auto-Trim Locking Tuners
- Black Satin Finish Top & Headstock
- Black Gloss Finish Body & Neck
- Black Satin Finish Top
- Black Satin Finish "Steven Wilson" Signature Headstock
- Engraved "Steven Wilson" 12th Fret Marker Inlay
- Exclusive "Steven Wilson" Portrait Soundhole Label
- Babicz Custom Arched Top, Hard Shell Case
Babicz Lateral Compression Soundboard
One of the most striking features of the Babicz concept is the manner in which the strings span out from the bridge assembly to attach to the bottom of the soundboard. Of course, it looks awesomely cool, but far from being a mere visual hook or gimmick, the revolutionary idea is entirely functional.
With this design, Jeff Babicz has been able able to achieve a more lateral tension pattern spread over a wider area of the guitar, "energizing" the soundboard (akin to tightening a drum head) resulting in full-bodied sound quality. Another attributing factor to this guitar’s great sound is that with the string tension being disbursed across the soundboard instead of anchored in the bridge, less structural bracing is required inside the instrument, allowing the soundboard to vibrate more freely and produce a purer, natural acoustic tone.
Babicz Continually Adjustable Neck
All Jeff Babicz guitars are equipped with this revolutionary neck joint system, which allows the player to quickly adjust the guitar's string height on the fly, with a simple turn of an included Allen key, to accommodate any playing style required. This is all achieved without knocking the guitar out of tune or altering the intonation. The system allows you to instantly change action for delicate fingerpicking to bluegrass banging to beefy slide action in just seconds, then crank the neck back down in less time than it takes to introduce the next tune.
Torque Reducing Split Bridge
Like the other innovative Babicz appointments, this unique system is strictly functional and serves three important purposes...
- Separated into two pieces ('Bridge' and 'Retainer'), the assembly helps reduce forward rotational torque.
- The bridge is adjustable for intonation because it is not glued to the soundboard but instead attached by special fasteners.
- The retainer serves to keep the strings in perfect alignment to the bridge.
L.R. Baggs Electrics
The Steven Wilson Signature Model features the incredible Stage Pro Anthem system which combines L.R. Baggs' Tru•Mic Technology pickup and Element™ under-saddle piezo pickup with a side-mounted preamp/EQ. This versatile system delivers incredible Tru•Mic fidelity, along with the presence and snap of the high-quality, award-winning Element pickup.
- Dual Pickup System Includes Tru•Mic Pickup & Element Transducer
- Mix Pickup Blend Control
- Volume, Bass & Treble Controls
- On-board Digital Tuner
- Phase Inversion Button
- Easy Click-lock Battery Access
- Stereo/Mono Output